Re: Thoughts about a new GdkPixbuf interface

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 14:48, Bill Haneman wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 13:28, gtk-devel-list-request gnome org wrote:
> Gustavo said:
>
> >   It's just my opinion, but don't you think this really belongs in Gtk
> > at all? GdkPixbuf becomes quite complex with these, and I suspect (but
> > haven't checked) there are separate libraries that do this already. 99%
> > of applications don't need affine transformations, you know... Scaling
> > is quite enough.
>
> For most apps, maybe.
>
> Remember, this discussion is about API, not implementation code.
>
> GdkPixbuf is already sophisticated, but the API limits the ways in which
> it can be used.  If we can extend the API in a way that allows better
> interoperability with other libs, or better, cleaner integration for
> apps that do need more than just scaling, then we're doing something
> very appropriate for GdkPixbuf IMO.  At the moment the limitations of
> GdkPixbuf make it tempting for apps to invent their own structures and
> APIs for doing pixmap operations, and that's not good.
>
> If we leave GdkPixbuf's implementation set more-or-less as-is (which is
> what I think Owen is suggesting, except for rotations) then I don't
> think your argument has any substance.  And I personally think adding
> rotations is something worth the extra code; but even if we didn't add

  I also don't see why rotation is needed, except 90 degree rotation,
which is trivial to implement.

> rotation code to GdkPixbug, I think we should extend the API so that
> other libs and applications can do so cleanly.

  Ok. The API is good, but spending time developing fast affine
transformations, with no apparent use, is another thing. And Owen listed
a function for that. It would be considered a bug to have an API for
affine transformations without an actual implementation.

  Anyway, I think I made my point, and I agree with your point, so I
will shut up! :)

--
Gustavo Joćo Alves Marques Carneiro