Re: File selector talk writeup

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 15:50, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> Ideally yes they would be consistent.  However, there are several
> considerations that work to separate things.
>
> - Some formats are not especially amenable to fast type sniffing.
>   Particularly the compound file based formats.

(...)
> - Another area where needs diverge is when handling more amourphous
>   or generic formats.

I still don't understand the objection.  :-)  The app and the file
manager should still be consistent in their knowledge of types.

What you said above sounds to me like an explanation of why type
guessing through binary sniffing doesn't quite work; that's why we have
file name extensions.

--
Ettore Perazzoli <ettore ximian com>