Re: Patch for io-gif.c

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 19:25, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 19:11, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > I ported this patch to the 2.2 branch.  With it you can load broken
> > animations as output by old versions of GifBuilder.
> >
> > More importantly, you can also load the staring Wilber at the top of
> > www.gimp.org :)
> >
> > This patch has been in place for about 2 months in the 1.4 branch and it
> > seems to work fine.
> >
> > Is it OK to commit?
>
> I'll let Matthias make the call on this patch, but, is there a bug
> reference for this or other background for this? This adds/changes
> a lot of code without any comments as to why...

Honestly, I don't feel competent to judge this patch - I didn't write
the gif loader, and, as Owen points out, this patch changes a lot of
code. It is really unfortunate that we don't have a comprehensive suite
of test images to validate changes of this kind against. At the very
least, it would be nice to see some of the broken gifs which should be
loadable with this patch, and some explanation of the code changes.

Matthias

PS http://www.gimp.org/icons/the_gimp_corner.gif loads fine for me with
the current CVS head gif loader...