RE: Menu/toolbar choices

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 15:46, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

> > So, the current choices seem to the stuff in libegg or
> > bonoboui. Sadly, though he libegg stuff sounds promising, it
> > doesn't seem to be in compilable state, and has no docs. Does
> > it/will it support the above-mentioned features ? Is anyone
> > actively working on it ? Some place to go for help ?
>
> I suggest you wait for GTK+ 2.4 which should have the libegg menu stuff.
> When GTK+ 2.4 exists I don't think BonoboUI will have much future apart
> from
> as a component framework - I suppose it will continue to be supported but
> will not be considered the ideal API to use. This is purely a personal
> opinion - There is no GNOME-wide plan and no consensus at the moment.

That's a pretty long wait :-( given the current timescales. Can't we use
the Egg stuff directly and mass-rename when GTK2.4 arrives ? I can think
of two inhibitors to this:

1. The API will change too much in the meantime to make this possible.
2. Current implementation in libegg is too sketchy/buggy/incomplete/etc.

Can someone advise me on the above ?

Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Biswa.