Re: GtkWidget Style Properties and Theme Engines

Rodney Dawes <dobey free fr> writes:

> It would be nice to be able to add properties which get parsed from
> the gtkrc, and have a nice api for doing things with them. Kind of
> like style properties for GObjects. The method for setting properties
> in engines currently, is rather arcane and a pain to use. You have
> to create a parser for the engine, and an enum of tokens, and a struct
> of properties, and it's easy to screw up, and you can't mix settings
> for different engines, in the same gtkrc, due to the lack of separation.

Not true; clearly each style can have only one theme engine, but each
can have different settings in the same gtkrc for different theme
engines if you are mixing theme engines in the same gtkrc.

> If there were style properties for the engines, users could have a
> single ~/.gtkrc-2.0, that includes style settings for multiple engines,
> and only the engine that is actually in use, would get loaded. Then, we
> could set the engine, and style properties in ~/.gtkrc-2.0, and we could
> have the colors stored in XSettings, so everything could be happy, and
> you can switch engines and keep the same colors. I'm going to be
> implementing this anyway, but it would be really nice to get something
> like this into GTK+, so other engine authors could take advantage of it
> easily, and make things better integrated.

I don't see how the API would work for this. Did you have a concrete
plan for how it would look?