Re: Dumb identifier name question

As a related issue, what would you think of moving all function argument
names as declared in .h to their own namespace? I ask this because I'm
getting tired of seeing warning spew when I turn on -Wshadow (mostly
because of the libc "index" function).

Pros:
 1) Could be done with a perl script
 2) Won't incur any code changes, as it would it only be changing the
header prototypes, not the actual implementations.
 3) Gtk-doc, et al, should still work, since gtk-doc statements are in
sources, not headers.

Cons:
 1) Would cause unnecessary header churn, which could be adverse for CVS
history, etc.
 2) Might break programs which read in the Gtk+ headers and do clever
things with them, such as bindings that don't use .defs. The only such
program I am aware of is the Gtk# binding generator, and I am a
contributor to that.
 3) As you said, would break consistency with the old style.

-- Rachel