Re: GtkFileChooser filter API

> This is a bit conceptually cleaner and you could even allow custom
> derivation from GtkFileFilter if you did that. I'm not sure it's worth
> the complexity however.

Having to do a derivation to add its own non pattern filter looks heavy.

> A different way to allow custom filters without the derivation
> thing going on would be:
>
> ===
> gboolean (*GtkFileFilterFunc) (const gchar *filename,
>                                const gchar *uri,
>                                const gchar *mime_type,
>                                gpointer     data);
>
> void gtk_file_filter_add_custom (GtkFileFilter    *filter,
>                                  GtkFileFilterFunc func,
>                                  gointer           data,
>                                  GDestroyNotify    notify);

That's a more classical C approach indeed.

> Any sort of custom filter system will cause difficulties for
> an out-of-process implementation of GtkFileChooser; that's not
> something I'm particularly interested in, but there have been
> requests to leave the possibility open for the future.

There is clearly a need for having custom filters, and I don't see how
the pattern or mime type params address this need. For instance, a filter
may very well need to read parts of the contents of a file to decide
whether the file matches some specific criteria (e.g. presence of some
specific function name in a specific language file).

Arno