Re: Integrating EggMenu code into GTK+

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 11:39, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:31:23AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > We need a volunteer to work on integrating the new menu
> > system from Egg into GTK+; I think the subtasks are:
> >
> >  - Do the sed-job and GTK+ Makefile.am changes to
> >    move the code into GTK+
> >
> >  - Write API docs, including documentation of the
> >    EggMenuMerge XML format.
> >
> >  - Show off the new API in gtk-demo
> >
> > These don't all have to be done in one go; the code
> > can first be added to GTK+, then API docs written,
> > and then gtk-demo enhanced.
> >
> > Other notes:
> >
> >  - James points out that egg-markup.[ch] should not
> >    be included; they have been replaced by
> >    egg-menu-merge.[ch]
>
> I'd really like to see the addition/restoration of accelerator only
> actions before the api is frozen into Gtk.  James mentioned that
> this once existed but was removed due to complications with the
> implementation and glib.

I'm sure whoever will be working on GTK+ integration would appreciate a
patch, or detailed instructions.

I think the issue here is whether the target closures for accelerators
target the EggAction object or one of the widgets that point to that
EggAction; we made some changes in GTK+-2.2 (or was it 2.0?) to
allow targeting non-widgets for accelerators, but James didn't end up
using that feature.

I forget what the reasoning was.