Re: MNG gdk-pixbuf module

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 06:59:53PM -0700, Shahms E. King wrote:
> How much interest is there in an MNG loader for gdk-pixbuf?
>
> Right now I have a working version that loads the first frame of the MNG into a
> pixbuf using libmng. If there is enoufh interest (and probably if there is not
> ;-) I will add incremental loading and GdkPixbufAnimation support to it.
> Ideally I'd like to get it integrated into gdk someday as it seems kind of silly
> to distribute  something this small seperately, but I understand the desire to
> not depend on libmng.

Last we checked, libmng did not allow multiple views of the same
animation (each animation object had only one "current position", so
you can't have multiple GdkPixbufAnimationIter without copying the
animation each time). However I haven't looked again recently.

If you can solve that then having mng support is probably reasonable,
though in general many of us wish we had a straightforward simple
GIF-style "list of frames" animation format using PNG, instead of the
whole MNG beast.

It seems that the web is going more toward Flash and SVG instead of
MNG, though those are also horribly complex.

Havoc