GtkTreeView - Selecting individual cells

Hello,
I'm writing an application - and I'm fairly impressed what the GtkTreeView does.
Almost, almost does exactly what I want it to do. But, problem is, selection is
done on a row basis.

I've had a look at the underlying code (desparation) to see what is doing what
and after about 8 hours I have a much better understanding of what is going on...
(e.g. why when I first select an object from a treeview it goes to the TOP
object first, and THEN the object I click on....)

Anyhow, I'm thinking I'd like to add a feature .
e.g.
GTK_SELECTION_CELL  (like GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE|SINGLE) which is a when set to
TRUE, tells the expose routine to only highlight cells under mouse pointer,
and then to implement two routines (maybe be simple?) to get the text and set
the text in a particular cell....(that part I have to look into still)....

And eventually, would like it so I can implement GTK_BUTTON events on these
cells, (but with the knowledge of where the pointer is in relation to the
columns), know what cell the use is clicking on and DO something from there...

The other idea I have is putting in a generic Widget (or has this already been
done?) and then simply allowing the user to do their operations using that widget...

Ideas?

I REALLY want to get something like this going, because it is stopping this from
being a really good substitute for my clunky tables/cell/row approach.

Cheers

Joe