Re: Adjusting the 2.4 schedule (font picker)

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 13:32, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 11 o'clock on Jun 24, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > - Color/font picker
>
> There's a fundemental conflict in font selection between selecting font
> styles using string style names and using regular/bold roman/italic
> booleans.  As many font families are available in more than 4 styles, it
> may make some sense to allow users to select styles based on their string
> names.
>
> Of course, this requires l10n of the style names.  I'm currently
> contemplating how to present the available multilingual family and style
> names from TrueType fonts to applications; suggestions on that front would
> be welcome.

Selection in GtkFontSelection is already on the FC_STYLE value.
If there was translation of style values and family values available,
it would be a trivial API extension for PangoFontFamily and
PangoFontFace to support them.

The item above is actually a little button to click on to get the
font selection; it's a little tricky to make that display the
FC_STYLE value because all it has it the resulting PangoFontDescription,
and currently going back from PangoFontDescription to PangoFontFace
cumbersome.

I think the current version just uses a stringified version of the
weight/slant/width enumeration values from PangoFontDescription.