GtkTextView and starting selection from derived widget

Is there any way to start the mouse selection mode in GtkTextView from a derived widget ? What I need is something like calling gtk_text_view_start_selection_drag, but:

 1) available outside gtktextview.c, and
 2) with selectable selection mode (character, block or line).

If it doesn't exist (my brief look at gtktextview.c says it doesn't, and that's why I'm posting it to this list), can it be added ? It would be useful in some situations, for example to make click on editor's margin start a line selection (like in scintilla/anjuta).

Krzysztof