Re: GtkPaned patch

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 20:55, Owen Taylor wrote:
> My reasoning why it definitely shouldn't be an app property:
>
>  If your app can't handle opaque paned resizing, then
>  it won't be able to handle opaque window resizing. And
>  opaque window resizing isn't under the app's control.
>
> Should it be a style property or (probably better) GtkSetting
> for people with old, slow computers?

Well, that is my motivation. The program I'm developing runs on a
handheld and the framebuffer is not so fast. Opaque resizing is quite
CPU intensive which is not good for batery life.

Also, my app has a pixmap as its background which makes the opaque
resizing even more bad looking even on my desktop because I have a
GtkDrawingArea which seems to keep the 'old' background for a split
second which looks quite bad..

I attached a short example that shows what I mean, two paned
GtkDrawingArea's, exactly the same but the lower one is flickery when
dragging the GtkPaned. Any idea why this is happening?

Anyway, even if a solution is found to this flicker problem I still
think that a non-opaque GtkPaned setting would be interesting
(global/per-app/per-GtkPaned).

TIA

--
Luis Oliveira