Re: en_US.po

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 08:52, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> Maybe it would be a good idea if the pot files would contain comments to
> tell the translator if a message is going to be displayed on the console or in
> the ui, so that the translator can use a restricted character repertoire for
> console messages and provide "nice" messages for the ui. I guess one way to
> achieve that would be to use separate domains for these messages...

Yeah, though it would be even more important to split GTK+ into
two domains:

 - One for user visible strings
 - One for doc strings

Because right now, getting GTK+ 100% coverage is a major job,
but the vast majority of those strings have no relevance to
end users.

I don't think there are actually many translated messages in GTK+
that are exclusively displayed on the console ... we don't
mark warning messages for programming errors for translation ...
rather we have GError strings which might occur either on
the console or on the screen.

I have to agree with Sven that as of right now, we shouldn't
use non-ASCII/latin-1 characters in the GError strings.

But perhaps we should consider making the g_logv() and g_print()
functions do smart fallbacks and if the target encoding doesn't
have nice quotes, convert them to vertical quotes.

(A little difficult because the behavior of iconv() for characters
not in the target encoding is completely undefined, but not
impossible ... g_convert_with_fallback() has logic in it for
similar situations)