Re: en_US.po

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 03:13, Noah Levitt wrote:
> I've written an en_US.po for gtk+. The main differences from
> the untranslated strings are curly quotes and hyphens and
> stuff like that. I figure I'd better get permission before
> committing since it's a bit unusual.
>
> http://www.columbia.edu/~nlevitt/tmp/en_US.po
>
> It occurs to me that use of en_US.po might be a way to help
> avoid breakage during string freeze. (Whether it's a good
> way could be debatable.)

> > No ... I'd consider the gdk-pixbuf GError strings to be
> > potentially console strings.
>
> Ok. I propose to
>
> 1. put the comment /* console string */ above each of these
> 2. intltool-update, msgmerge
> 3. untranslate the console strings
> 4. commit en_US.po

The /* console string */ comment bothers me a some
especially for these strings, which are _not_
exclusively console strings. Perhaps we should just hold
off on this thing until we can make the GLib message
functions handle nice fallbacks for quotes, em/en dashes.

> For packages with en_US.po, maybe it would make sense to mv
> en_GB.po en.po, so that commonwealth folks have an easier
> time getting their commonwealth spellings.

Then we'll have to override commonwealth strings back the
other way in en_US.po... if we want inheritance, it needs to
go the other way, right?

> #: gtk/gtkcolorsel.c:1876
> msgid "Transparency of the currently-selected color."
> msgstr "Transparency of the currently selected color."

Ugh, please don't do stuff like this. Even if this change
is correct (it's debatable to me) it needs to go in the
base translation.