Re: GtkTreeView column-chooser dialog

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:56:02PM +0100, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> I find it mildly confusing that I have to move the columns up and down
> in the dialog, while I really want to move them left and right in the
> list...

Have to agree with that - if we can't do direct manipulation (which
seems nicer anyhow), seems like you should at least have manipulation
of a similar-looking proxy. What apps will use this? It seems like
usually you'd want a thing like this as part of a larger prefs dialog
or something.

What if the feature were done with right-click menus on the column
headers?

   Move Left
   Move Right
   Insert Column ->
         Column Not Currently Showing 1
         Column Not Currently Showing 2
   Sort Ascending
   Sort Descending

That's accessible, and while somewhat hidden this feature probably
*should* be somewhat hidden. You could also do DND as a non-accessible
shortcut (minus the huge red arrows).

This brings up the issue (again) of an API for saving transient state.
You really kind of need one to make this convenient to use.

Havoc