Re: Listing available sizes for a font

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 21:05, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On a machine without XFT or with GDK_USE_XFT=0, GtkFontSelection shows
> its normal set of sizes (8 to 72) for all faces, even though some of
> them may not be available in some sizes --- bitmap fonts, of course.
>
> Is there a way to get the list of available sizes for a face from
> Pango?  I'd like to modify GtkFontSelection to display only the
> available ones.

No, there isn't a way.

And Pango-1.4 will (I'm pretty sure at this point) drop support for
non-Xft X rendering, so for non-Xft, there really isn't a point
in adding such an API. Also, actually, for non-Xft, the point
sizes available for a font aren't necessarily uniform across
different code points in a PangoFont ... you probably have
one set of sizes available for Western characters and a different
for Japanese characters.

However the problem does also occur for bitmap fonts for the nice
fontconfig-based backends, so I think adding a PangoFontFace
API to list available size would be a reasonable addition.

And for fontconfig, things are more sane, because we don't
combine fonts _within_ a PangoFont, rather we combine multiple
PangoFont objects into a fontset.