Re: x11 guidance (slightly off-topic)

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 05:58, Sergey V. Oudaltsov wrote:
> Another question: what is the policy about xkb? Can we consider it as standard
> feature or what?
>
> If yes, some improvements in the keyboard layout management can be done.

We can't yet consider Xkb standard, though GTK+ takes considerable
advantage of it when available. There are lots of systems out there
with it missing or turned off, and GTK+ will need to run on such
systems.

It's OK to have features in GTK+ though, that don't work
when Xkb isn't present ... we already have some such ... like
gdk_keymap_get_direction().

Note that GTK+ isn't even X specific, so keyboard features should
have an obvious conceptual meaning, and not tied to some specific
backend technology.

(GNOME on the other hand, can rely on X, and there are various
pieces of Xkb integration that should be done there... but I
doubt we want to make GNOME not work without Xkb either.)