Re: GTK+ 2.2.1 crashes

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 16:06, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 14:12, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 00:08, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
>
> > > I think I found a bug in GTK+ 2.2.1, which will cause it to write out of
> > > bounds when I have a pixbuf in a GtkTreeView, and part of that pixbuf is
> > > exposed. The bug could be more general.
> > >
> > > It's apparently been fixed on the 2.2 branch in CVS. Is this a known
> > > bug?
>
> > Why are you asking us? You have access to CVS, you have the test case.
> > If the bug shows up with current CVS, please file a bug in bugzilla
> > so that it doesn't get forgotten about.
>
> I am asking you because you're the maintainers and principal developers
> of GTK+. I am asking specifically because the bug appears to be fixed on
> the 2.2 branch (not in HEAD), and I wanted to know if it was fixed
> deliberately or coincidentally, and when the fix would be available in
> an official release.

It wasn't clear to me what you mean by "apparently been fixed on the 2.2
branch in CVS".  I guess you mean "I tested it with 2.2 and it didn't
happen".

It's also not clear what you mean to me by "not in HEAD". Do you mean
you tested it with HEAD and it was broken or do you mean that you
didn't test it with HEAD?

We have a policy that all bug fixes in 2.2 go *immediately* into HEAD.

> It could be serious, since it's memory corrupting and appears to happen
> in a memcpy () somewhere under gdk_draw_pixbuf () [the rest of the stack
> trace seems imprecise]. Most of the time it doesn't crash, it just
> writes outside its buffer. That code has undergone a revamp on the 2.2
> branch, and I guess that's why the bad behaviour went away, although I
> don't see a reference to the problem in the ChangeLog.

I don't remember any changes to gdk_draw_pixbuf() in 2.2 that aren't in
HEAD; can you give a particular reference to what you are talking about?

> If the fix was deliberate, I wouldn't have to file a bug, and you
> wouldn't have to close it.
>
> If my initial question looked aggressive or you perceived it as applying
> pressure to you, I apologize for that. It wasn't intended as such, but
> might have looked that way because I wanted it to be brief and concise,
> so you wouldn't have to wade through preemptively apologetic and
> long-winded paragraphs like this one. I know you have a lot of work to
> do. I do too.

I guess I just didn't understand what you meant; it seemed a strange
question; if you found a bug in 2.2.1, you should be able to tell
if it was fixed in CVS or not...

I'm really quite thick-skinned to pressure being applied to me to
do maintainence releases ;-) I wasn't offended.

> > > Does the GTK+ team have any plans for a 2.2.2 release, and if yes,
> > > when?
>
> > Yes. No precise idea when. I'd hope within the next week, but there
> > are a *lot* of bugs to be sorted through, and I'm trying to keep
> > some momentum with new development...
>
> Thanks. If you don't have more specific information regarding the bug,
> I'll settle for this, and file it against HEAD.

If you can't reproduce it with 2.2 CVS, please don't file it against
HEAD unless you *can* reproduce it with HEAD.