Re: GtkToolbar drag and drop

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 08:45, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 14:01, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > > Random thought: would you want to know the GtkAction being dropped so
> > > you could display the new toolbar button (perhaps in faded form or
> > > something)?
> >
> > I think this is a very interesting idea. It would also perfectly
> > integrate with current implementation of EggEditableToolbar.
>
> 	I've been thinking about the toolbar editor for a few years now; and I
> was just looking at the gtk+ merging stuff which looks rather good - and
> highly suitable for creating a compatible wrapper with libbonoboui [as
> far as I can see] - for which I'm grateful.
>
> 	Anyhow - I poked at EggEditableToolbar; and I had a few questions:
>
> 	* How does this deal with the whole concept of 'merge ids' ?
>
> 		+ a merge id is a way of identifying a whole batch of
> 		  updates (perhaps distinguishing  separate components)
> 		  and separating updates, from overrides.

Hi Michael,

in short ... it doesnt. This is a serious shortcoming in current implementation.
We have a data model (EggToolbarsModel) and we use GtkAction to build items.
To make it play nicely with merge it would probably be necessary to use GtkUIManager
data model instead of our own. I have the impression this would result in moving most of the drag
and drop code in gtkuimanager itself.
Another issue to solve is the user interface implementation. I'm not sure how drag drop and
merged toolbars could interact (for example in which "layer" has the item been dropped ?).

Marco