Generating Installer to compile and link against Gtk+-2.0

Hi,

How does configure infer the values GTK_CFLAGS and GTK_LIBS variables
that it puts in the Makefile(s) that it generates from Makefile.in(s)?

I basically want my project to be complied and linked against Gtk+-2.0.
I'm having to manually open the genrated Makefile(s) by configure and
edit GTK_CFLAGS and GTK_LIBS to:

GTK_CFLAGS="pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0"
GTK_LIBS="pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0"

How can tell configure to generate a Makefile to make my project
compile and link with Gtk+ 2.0 or any other latest version, if Gtk+ 2.0
is absent on the user's computer?

Thanks,
Amit

Siddharth Uppal
Scientist 'B'
Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks
Division (AI & NN)
Center for Artificial Intelligence and
Robotics (CAIR)
Defense R&D Organisation (DRDO)