Re: HIG API for GtkMessageDialog, take 3

Hi Matthias :),

> On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 10:40, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Sorry very much for the delay, I finally renamed the _set_title_text()
> > and _set_title_markup() to:
> >
> > void       gtk_message_dialog_set_primary_text (GtkMessageDialog *message_dialog,
> >                                                 const gchar      *message_format,
> >                                                 ...) G_GNUC_PRINTF (2, 3);
> >
> > void       gtk_message_dialog_set_primary_markup (GtkMessageDialog *message_dialog,
> >                                                   const gchar      *message_format,
> >                                                   ...) G_GNUC_PRINTF (2, 3);
> >

> > To keep the backwards API compatibility, the secondary text is simply
> > called "text". As usual you can find the changes here:
> >

> > http://www.gnome.org/~carlosg/stuff/gtkmessagedialog/
> >
> > Hope you like it :)
>
> Thanks for your continued efforts. Owen and I discussed the HIG dialog
> API again last week. Here are some highlights from that discussion
>
> - Owen dislikes the _with_buttons () constructor, since
>   GtkMessageDialog already has varargs constructors which
>   use varargs differently, which could be confusing.
>   Multi-varargs functions are technically possible, but we
>   do not want to go there.

yes, I was aware of the different varargs use, but I still thought that
it was positive to be able to do everything in a single function for the
most common case

> - set_primary_text() and set_primary_markup() are not really setters,
>   since they format the text, thus we'd prefer a different name,
>   e.g s/set/format/

I agree

> - using printf() style formatting for the primary text seems to be
>   fairly common, thus it would be good to have it available in the
>   constructor.
>
> - feature-wise, the only missing piece in GtkMessageDialog is the
>   secondary text.
>
> To come to a conclusion wrt to a good HIG message dialog api, I have
> created a little comparison table showing how some representative use
> cases look in different APIs:
> http://people.redhat.com/mclasen/higdialog/comparison.html

Seems quite sensible to me, I'll implement this API when I have some
spare time

	Carlos