Re: Glade & new GTK+ 2.5.x features

Damon Chaplin wrote:

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 17:11, Bill Haneman wrote:
Hmm
<widget class="GtkLabel" id="label1">
   <property name="label" markup="&lt;b&gt;">label1</property>
</widget>
This looks really ugly to me - storing what is essentially an XML tag as
content!

Yes, it isn't ideal. But that's what we are currently doing for markup
anyway.
Yes, but the suggested changes in your email are IMO even uglier because they put the escaped text in an attribute. For in-line markup (what you are doing now), escaping the chars makes sense, but for global markup IMO it does not.

<>Why not

<widget class="GtkLabel" id="label1">
<property name="label">label1</property>
<markup>
<b>
.. [etc.]
</markup>
</widget>

i.e. any tag could be places in the <markup/> element.

Damon:

   I don't think it really warrants major changes to the XML structure like

<>that.

I don't see it as that much bigger a change that some of the other proposals, and it has the advantages of both allowing arbitrary global markup tags (i.e. extensible) and avoiding the escaping of the markup tags.

- Bill

<> We're only trying to get rid of the attributes that cover the
entire string. e.g. for "<b>all bold</b>" the translators don't want the
"<b>" and "</b>" to be in the po files.

Damon