Re: Suggestion for the actual UI of GTK+'s New FileSelector

Melvin Hadasht said:
>> > perhaps some tests/studies should be done on this - both of us are just
>> > guessing at which way is better
>>
>> I would love to see some tests on this too.
>
> Maybe the we could create the widgets in some scripting language and
> post them to the users list with some kind of check list ?

here's a very primitive mock up in perl, knocked out in about a half an hour.

the path-finder doesn't keep the paths the way eugenia described, but it's a
start.  i used a viewport with an HBox inside, but didn't actually hook up the
adjustments, so it doesn't scroll.  perhaps someone who's better with GTK+
could take care of that.  for browsing around my home directory it works (for
a moment, then it crashes because i don't handle paths correctly).

you can also play with this to see how the stretchiness affects things
visually.  to get the shortcut list to resize, we'd need to use a VPaned,
which i did not do.

(for the uninitiated, this requires perl 5.8.0 and the Gtk2 module from
http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/ ... rpms available on the project page.)

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>