Re: random number stuff

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 02:41:02AM +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
> i was more thinking in terms of /dev/urandom being buggy, still
> having g_get_current_time() then wouldn't hurt, and we'd get it
> simply by *removing* an if() statement. but anyways...

If /dev/urandom is buggy then the system will have lots of other very
interesting problems much more fun then GRand having low entropy.  If you
want to avoid it you could still just XOR the current time over the data
gotten from /dev/urandom, since the stuff from /dev/urandom is supposed to be
truly random this would work fine, and if /dev/urandom was buggy you'd get at
least some entropy.  Still I think it's semi pointless to make GRand work in
that case while actual crypto stuff usually just depends on /dev/urandom only
and GRand is not even something to be used for crypto.

> > Attached new patch to the bug
>
> thanks for the new patch, i've applied it now.

Cool!

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>