Re: OpenGL option for GTK+ (bug #119189)

Naofumi Yasufuku wrote:
[snip]
[snip]

I think GtkGLExt's CVS repository should be hosted on GNOME CVS to work in
cooperation with GTK+ hackers.

and would opt for solution 3 (of point 3.1 in the afore mentioned RFC):
   "add this support into a separate library shipped with gdk/gtk."

I would opt for solution 4 (OpenGL stuff is not shipped with gdk/gtk but
officialy "blessed"). GtkGLExt's GdkGL stuff (libgdkglext library) is not
yet mature enough (e.g. GLXPbuffer support issue, etc.), so I think it
should be developed separately for the time being...

    Ultimatly I think it would be nice to have GdkGL/GtkGL included with the
GTK+ packages but I see what you mean,

 If GtkGLExt is hosted on GNOME CVS, it will benefit GtkGLExt in a few ways:
    - Easier coordination with Gtk+ hackers.
    - Probably more traffic for GtkGLExt (being "blessed" official, application
      developers looking for an OpenGL solution for GTK+ based apps will look
      no further and developers not looking for OpenGL solutions may try it out
      anyway... all of this will help to mature the GdkGL/GtkGL codebase).

 And Gtk+ benefits from this by:
    - Having an OpenGL API "on the road" and easily referenced on the gnome
      web pages.
    - Not being held directly responsable for any shortcommings of
      GtkGLExt at least untill the product matures a little...

Cheers,
                          -Tristan