Re: New file chooser (latest version)

On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 11:59 AM, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

Not likely.  The release is pretty late already.

Is it too late for commentary about user interface hassles that look like ui bugs in the final implementation?

If any details i complain about are merely things that are planned but not yet complete, please accept my apologies. I am sincerely trying to help.

Bookmarks Sidebar:
- The default size is far too big. It's half of the dialog, and it's almost completely blank space. The file/folder list should be the primary feature of this dialog, and the sidebar should size itself to what's inside. - It cannot be shrunk beyond the width of the "add" and "remove" buttons. In the face of that, a way to hide the thing completely, e.g. by double-clicking on the resize grip as in mozilla, would be very helpful.

Select Folder Mode:
When you select things, the list jumps around, so that the currently-selected row is always fifth (at least, that's what it looks like). It's very distracting and annoying. If it *must* move like that, how about an animation, so you can see that it's moving, where it's going and where it came from, instead of just a wrinkle in space and time?

Create Folder Mode:
The window should be small when the full filechooser is collapsed, but it is not. I think this is just an implementation bug.

Path Bar:
The current directory is always at the end, even when you go backwards. If i recall the original proposal correctly, the child directories should stick around until you change to a directory that's not currently in the PathBar. Use case: i want to jump back up two levels really quick to make sure i'm getting the file in the right subdir, so i click on the parent in the PathBar. Now i have to navigate back to the child, whereas if the PathBar kept its full path, i'd be able just to click on the one at the end again.

--
Jolt is my co-pilot.
  -- Slogan on a giant paper airplane hung in Lobby 7 at MIT.