Re: GTK+ replacements for libgnomeui widgets

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 10:21 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "James M. Cape" <jcape ignore-your tv> writes:
>
> > > Well, the GnomePixmapEntry widget has always been a usability
> > > nightmare and I strongly hope that no such widget will ever make it
> > > into GTK+. If you want users to choose an icon, then present them with
> > > a set of icons, not with a file chooser widget. The user shouldn't
> > > have to care about the location of the icon/image file on disk.
> >
> > I agree with this sentiment, but there are cases (such as gdmphotosetup,
> > the panel background picker, and the evolution contact editor) where
> > there is no central repository of images or (currently) reasonable place
> > to start looking. Also, the user may very well want to use random image
> > file X (say I want "/mnt/smbserver1/Images/someimg.png"), there's no way
> > for GTK+ to do that currently. In those cases, a plain file-chooser is
> > definitely preferred over nothing :-).
>
> Sure, that's why libgimpwidgets provides GimpFileEntry. So there is
> probably a need for this. But then it should be a widget which is not
> specific about icons or images. If it provides a more general API as
> you already suggested yourself, then it's certainly useful.
>
> Here's the (not very sophisticated) GimpFileEntry API:
>
>  http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimpwidgets/GimpFileEntry.html

The EscoFileChooserEntry widget is similar to this (but does some extra
things like history and the GtkFileChooser API). About the only thing
I'd like to do is make it be a plain combobox for the "open" modes and
an entry combobox for the "save" modes, though this will require some
tweaking on the part of GtkCellRendererText to work properly (either a
clamped width, ellipsizing, or both).

The ImageButton posted does the more specific task of "give me an image
filename". The ImageChooser API I described is for the case of "give me
an icon name or image file" (which would combine the GnomePixmapEntry
and GnomeIconSelection widgets). As I said, I'd prefer an
ImageChooser-based ImageButton to the plain-files-based one that exists
now, but it requires the icon container.

> > The sticky part of doing an ImageChooser like those above is
> > handling directories with lots of large images
> > (e.g. /usr/share/backgrounds), the best option is for which some
> > kind of of simple thumbnailing API to work with GdkPixbuf &
> > ~/.thumbnails, e.g.:
> >
> > GdkPixbuf *gdk_pixbuf_thumbnail_new (const gchar *filename);
> > void gdk_pixbuf_thumbnail_save (const gchar *filename, GdkPixbuf
> > *pixbuf);
>
> There is libgimpthumb which can be used w/o The GIMP but isn't
> packaged stand-alone yet. I wouldn't object to making it more
> generally available (and changing the namespace). As it stands it has
> a dependency on libgimpmath (for generating MD5 sums) but except from
> that it only uses GObject and GdkPixbuf:
>
>  http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimpthumb

Thanks, I'll remember that when it comes time to do ImageChooser.

--
Peace,

    Jim Cape
    http://ignore-your.tv

    "We still name our military helicopter gunships after victims
     of genocide. Nobody bats an eyelash about that: Blackhawk.
     Apache. And Comanche. If the Luftwaffe named its military
     helicopters Jew and Gypsy, I suppose people would notice."
       -- Noam Chomsky, "Propaganda and the Public Mind"