GtkTextView to display a bullet character

Title: Message
Hi,

I am trying to display a bullet character on to a GtkTextView.

It is giving me the error that [Invalid UTF8] character specified.

The ASCII value of bullet character is 0x95 and the equivalent UTF8 value is 0x25CF

Can you please suggest me where I am going wrong in displaying the character.
I did not find a proper api to convert a character from ASCII to UTF8 either.

Thanks & Regards
Siva