Re: Themable colors

>On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 18:04 +0400, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:
>
>> > - We want to be able to write a simple "color setting" control. How does
>> > that work ? Is there a Setting containing a palette, ie essentially a
>> > map from color names to rgb triplets ?
>>
>> Currently there is no way to edit theme, why palette should be editable?
>> It can be adjusted from user gtkrc files as now background can be
>> adjusted. Proper color settings could be hard-coded by theme author, but
>> it would be hard for user to
>> quickly select palette that looks well with the user's theme.
>
>The palette should be editable, because it is a frequent complaint that
>there is no user-friendly way to change the colors of themes. Look at
>the various color variations of BlueCurve to see that using rc files to
>override theme colors is not user-friendly...
>
>Matthias

One thing is not clear for me - should this palette be editable on application-level (That means that there should be widget that will allow every application edit it's palette) or at desktop-level (that means that gnome-theme-capplet should have ability to edit rc files). I don't think that application level is appropriate in this situation.

About desktop level. It is possible to create something like cathegorized view with two columns like this

Category

      Stock label   Stock color

and some preview widget with button, checkbox or something like this. The number of colors is bigger than 20, probably some can depend on others. That means that
in theme rc file there it might be described like

stock_color ["gtk-stock-important"] = shade ("gtk-stock-foreground", 0.75)

this can be also done by extending GtkStockColorItem with some fields. But this dependency should dissappear on the fly, when user will change gtk-stock-important color.

This can be done. But in general it's all about one big question - is there an application or way to edit rc files. I don't think that such application is needed.