Re: Closure shadowing

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 11:18 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
[...]
> > Anyway, good to see language bindings given high priority for a
> > change.  Keep up the good work :-)
>
> I'm not sure I like that "for a change" :-). Language bindability has
> been a big focus of GTK+ since before 1.0.

  Sorry, you're right.  There's more of a problem in non-gtk+ libraries,
where we see lots of signals with pointer args, callbacks but no
closures, etc.

  Still, even in gtk+, even new APIs sometimes are added which place
additional problems on language bindings.  In particular, int*
parameters are truly problematic, as they contain no in/out/inout
semantic information attached.  For example, see
GtkCellRendererClass.get_size.  I hope the new introspection API will
solve this issue finally, since it is clear that external libraries will
never help support language bindings.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.