Re: Linking glib with gld in Irix

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:59:15 -0400
Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 15:41 +0200, Magnus Bergman wrote:
> > I have problems building glib (2.6.6) in Irix using GCC, gas and gld
> > (no, I don't forget to use --with-gnu-ld). It fails then linking
> > glib-genmarshal against glib because some symbols, including
> > g_malloc cannot be found. Then I examine the glib library (using
> > GNU objdump) I see than most symbols are marked hidden, for example:
> >
> > 60017e80 l     F *ABS*  00000000 .hidden IA__g_malloc
> >
> > While a few are not, for example:
> >
> > 600354bc g     F *ABS*  00000000 g_strcasecmp
> >
> > I have no idea what that means. I guess it's the reason for the
> > failure, but why does it happen? Is it some feature that doesn't
> > work as expected on irix, or does it expect some irix feature not
> > supported by gld maybe?
>
> What gcc version is that ? Does it support visibility attributes ?
> Does configure think it supports visibility ? Does configuring with
> --disable-visibility help ?

--disable-visibility made it work. Thanks!

The version of gcc is 3.4.0. It seems to me like the compiler supports
the feature just fine (which the configure script detects correctly).
But that the linker (gld 2.15) doesn't. Perhaps it is as easy as
upgrading binutils (I will try that later). At least we can rule out
that any part of glib (including the configure script) is to blame,
right?