Re: Announcing: Project Ridley

Brian Cameron wrote:

I think renaming GTK to 3.0 doesn't make sense if ABI is not
broken.  It doesn't really make sense to bump the number to
3.0 unless the plan is also to remove all deprecated functions
from the library.  Bumping the minor number should be sufficient
if ABI compatibility is maintained.  Bumping the major number
should be a signal that the library is ABI incompatible, not
just that the library has a "big change".

I don't really see much reason ever to break ABI for the forseeable future. There's essentially nothing stopping us from simply leaving deprecated functions in there indefinitely, other than a fairly minor memory footprint increase which will never be paged in anyway.

With this in mind, we have to start asking the question of what we think the version numbers for GTK actually mean.

-Rob