Re: GTK_FLOATING broken in 2.9?

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Murray Cumming wrote:

In GTK+ 2.9, GTK_FLOATING is deprecated and README.in states that it can
no longer be used to detect floating objects. I hope nobody is using
that. I assume that effort was made to avoid this ABI breakage.

But does this also mean that setting GTK_FLOATING has no effect with
2.9?

right, since the floating flag is stored in GObject in 2.9, so altering
the GtkObject won't have any effect.

We do use this in gtkmm. GTK+ 2.9 has g_object_force_floating(),
but I don't know of an equivalent that I can start using in gtkmm 2.8
now before GTK+ 2.9 is widely available.

gtkmm 2.8 depends on glib/gtk 2.8, right? then you don't have
g_object_force_floating() there. would it be of any help to you
if glib 2.8 had g_object_force_floating() already (whether function
or not)?

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com