Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: GTK_FLOATING broken in 2.9?

>the point is, you only have to adapt your code if fancy_container_add()
>changes, and that can occour regardless of libgobject changes.
>
>the only relation existing here is:
>   fancy_container_add() cannot sink GObjects as long as libgobject does not
>   support floating objects.
>
>and we'r about to change that. the only thing libgobject will do is to
>*enable* fancy_container_add() changes wrg sinking though. nothing more.

Thanks Tim, this is a very important point that I don't think was made clear
enough. The idea isn't to suddenly change ref counting semantics in gobject, but
 to just allow people that wish to write ref_sink containers to do so. No one
will have to change code or change the way they think, as the only containers
that will have different behavior are custom written ones in other projects
which are clearly documented as to what they expect.

The only issue here as far as I'm concerned is how to best deal with the
GTK_OBJECT_SET_FLAGS macro problem. If I remember from the original discussion,
GtkObject can disappear completely in the next major GTK version, since all of
its functionality would now be in GObject.

Andrew Paprocki
Bloomberg LP