Re: Some new GString functions - constructors

At a high-level, I think there is a question of "what GString is" -
should there be GString versions of everything you want to do
with a char *?

My opinion is no ... a GString is the equivalent of a Java
StringBuffer .. it is a useful way to build and work with strings,
but it isn't *a string*. That's a char *.

It would be for example, wrong to pass a GString as an argument
to a function that takes a string as an input parameter.

That implies to me, for example:

 GList *g_string_split(GString *str, gchar c);

Is wrong ... we already have g_strsplit():

(Sidenote: g_strsplit() takes a char * delimiter. This has
the big benefit of handling UTF-8 and ascii equally well.)