Re: Introspection API

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 17:37 -0500, muppet wrote:
> Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro said:
> > On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 15:38 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >>Does it cover what is needed by language bindings ?

I probably wouldn't use an interface like this, but rather would
generate a "static" binding from the XML.  So things like:

void g_virtual_method_override_class_closure (GType instance_type, const gchar *name, GClosure *class_closure);
void g_virtual_method_invoke_base_closure (GType type, const gchar *name, const GValue *instance_and_params, GValue *return_value);

are more important to Gtk#.  Looks like the interface covers most of the
information I would need to generate Gtk#.

g_param_def should contain information about arrays too, because
is_pointer doesn't help much in that respect.  For arrays with
corresponding length params it would be good to be able to identify
those by more than a shaky n_<name> convention.

> >   Generally looks nice.  But what about callback parameters?
>
> Should be handled by the GFunctionTypeDef corresponding to the callback's
> type, if i read the API correctly.

Doesn't quite cover it, because callback parameters have scope.  Some
are call-duration, some are persistent, some are replace-on-next-call,
some are keep-one-per-2nd-param-value, some are
removed-by-this-method...

--
Mike Kestner <mkestner novell com>