BadImplementation X Window System error with GTK+ 2.6.1

I've built glib-2.6.1, atk-1.9.0, pango-1.8.0, and gtk+-2.6.1 on RHEL
3.0/amd64. I basically did ./configure --prefix=[blah]. When I run
gtk-demo, I get the following error:
  $ /tmp/test/bin/gtk-demo
  The program 'gtk-demo' received an X Window System error.
  The error was 'BadImplementation (server does not implement operation)'.
    (Details: serial 487 error_code 17 request_code 152 minor_code 10)

I'm displaying against a XFree86-4.2 server.

If I uncomment:
  XSetErrorHandler (gdk_x_error);
  XSetIOErrorHandler (gdk_x_io_error);
from gdk/x11/gdkmain-x11.c, I get more info on the error:
  $ /tmp/test/bin/gtk-demo
  X Error of failed request:  BadImplementation (server does not implement operation)
    Major opcode of failed request:  152 (RENDER)
    Minor opcode of failed request:  10 (RenderTrapezoids)
    Serial number of failed request:  487
  X Error of failed request:  BadImplementation (server does not implement operation)

Displaying to an X server without the RENDER extension works fine.

Any ideas?

--
albert chin (china thewrittenword com)