Re: Primary selection thoughts

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 03:53 +0200, Jochen Baier wrote:
> hi,
>
> i would like to achieve that gnome (gtk) kde and firefox* behave similar.
> one step could be making working with the primary selection equal.
>
> -kde and firefox paste the primary selection on button release - gtk on
> button press

  I agree consistency here would be good.

> -kde and firefox do not "copy" the text selected with Control-A into
> primary selection - gtk do

  Everyone knows mozilla/firefox have broken selection handling.  The
'primary selection' should always reflect what is currently selected in
an X display.  There is only one 'primary selection', thus only one
application is allowed to have something selected at any given time.
Firefox doesn't follow these rules; firefox is broken.  Not matter how
many users an application has, it should not be allowed to change rules
that are more than a decade old.

> this is one of the rare possibilities to clear text inside an entry
> before you paste new text, so it should not override the new selection.

  Gtk 1.2 used to have a different selection color for when an entry is
automatically (not explicitly) selected, and in such case there was no
'primary selection'.  Personally I prefered this approach; but well...

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic