Re: Recently Used Files Proposal

Hi,

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 03:46 +0400, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:

> > A menu would never give enough informations on the recently used
> > items: apart from an icon associated to the mime type, we won't know
> > their location, or when they were accessed; so, given that we should
> > provide a tooltip for each item (with an API for adding custom text,
> > maybe), a menu could be also implemented.
> >

> Emmanuele, really the best way to provide access to recent items in
> application is menu. The main idea of recent file is to allow open new
> file without dialog, while you suggestion is to replace one complex
> dialog (FileChooser) with another one (RecentChooser).
>
> But in panel menu, such dialog can be useful. What do you think about
> implementation of your proposal as panel applet?

The general idea was exactely to remove the "Recent Documents" item from
the Places menu, and create a ${WIDGET} showing all the recently used
resources; as to where to put this ${WIDGET}, Federico suggested
something like a drawer - and it would be easy to implement with a panel
applet.

Anyway, we need something inside Gtk-bar-some-library to handle those
recently used resources, for applications to register their data.  And a
widget (or a set of widgets) in order to maintain consistency.

Kind regards,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com>