Re: GNOME 2.11/2.12 targeting GTK+ 2.8 (ie cairo based)

And cairo and atk and I need to share all these dates with several people.
It can be done I'm not saying it can't I'd just love a real tag across
all the various pieces to get a repeatable build out that more people
can work on.

I think your far enough along for a tag and I think a 2_7 tag would be
of intrest to more people then just me.  The gtk development plan
indicated you would be tagging the tree and approaching stability now.
If thats true then just tag it so its easy for me and others to get a
snapshot.  Are they also going to tag cairo to match the gtk tag ?

The directfb gdk backend is invasive  If I had cvs acccess I would
have tagged the tree for this type of work.  The fact that your not
tagging makes it difficult for me. I don't feel that trying to do a
timestamp based checkout is the right answer sorry.

The real problem is it seems to me that open cvs trees  have a lot of
problems if someone actually wants to do work on the source and is not
a blessed developer.

1.) No stable tags or no way to tag off a fork for development
2.) No easy access to the "current" plan for the main tree

I'm sure there more but these two are the ones that have bugged me the most.

There should be a way for people to request a tag of the cvs tree for
a project thats off the mainline without them being cvs committers.

There should be a clear place to find out about project planning isses
and timelines.  Web page blog gant chart etc etc.

My point is that I think a lot of opensource developers have CVS
access and they don't quite realize how little there providing to
people that want to work on the source for  other projects but don't
want to become project members.  The barrier to entry seems pretty
high.  I don't think it should be since these  people are prob people
thay may later join the project.
Sorry to talk so much but I really feel there is a intrinsic problem
here that I think a lot of the open source leaders have no idea
exists. I've found my own "entry" into opensource to be quite
unpleasant in a lot of ways.  I don't think it should be, education or
reasonable newbie support for developers should be important.

Mike