gtk+ HEAD regression: "rotated text" reproduces screen content (instead of pixmap?)

Hi,

I decided to give gtk+ HEAD a try and found _only_ one problem: My
program uses set_bg_pixmap on a style and the correct pixmap flashes
once and is then replaced by misplaced screen contents. Since the
program is rather huge (and gtkmm based) I was lucky to find the error
elsewhere, too:

 testgtk "rotated text" shows the same problem: The text is replaced
with random screen contents (switching desktops even replicates previous
desktop's contents). The attached image shows my ubuntu desktop mirrored
in the window.

Environment:
 ubuntu breezy on amd64
 cairo HEAD (0.5.0 shows the same)
 glib 2.7.0
 gtk HEAD
 Xorg 6.8.2 (ati driver), no composite extension

X server error? cairo error?

Excited by future's translucent entries over a pixmap ;-)
  Christof

JPEG image