Re: gtk regression test suite

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 09:48 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

> I was wondering if there was any interest amongst the GTK+ hackers to
> investigate creating a regression test suite.

The right way to do this is through LDTP:

http://gnomebangalore.org/ldtp/index.php/Main_Page

The testing scripts are written in Python.  At the low levels of the
framework, they communicate with apps via the accessibility interfaces.
So this immediately lets you test two things:

- that the a11y interfaces are sufficient to operate the user interface

- that the interface is doing the right thing

The interesting part, of course, is actually writing the testing
scripts.  For GTK+'s purposes, it would probably be good to start by
testing high-level functionality (e.g. click on a treeview column
header, extract the contents of the rows, and see that they are indeed
sorted).  The low-level functionality can be tested later (e.g. we are
pretty certain that clicking a button will emit the "clicked" signal).

  Federico