Porting GDK to use XCB on the backend

Hey All,

I am taking Open Source Software as an undergrad this term from Bart
Massey at PSU [1].  One of the projects that I'm seriously considering
working on is porting GDK to use XCB on the backend.  With the help
of Bart (one of the creators of XCB) and Jamey Sharp (XCB's primary
coder, implementer, co-creator, and fellow PSU student), I'm sure I
could make a real dent in this.

I know that Christian Neumair asked about this a year ago [2], but I
haven't seen any work done on it or much talk either.  Am I
overlooking something or has the job still not been started?

In the post reference above and elsewhere [3], Owen suggested porting
gdkasync.c to XCB without changing any of the other code in GTK+.  Is
this still a good place to start?  What is so significant about
gdkasync.c?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Travis Spencer

[1] http://ossclass.wiki.cs.pdx.edu/
[2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2004-July/msg00182.html
[3] http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2005-February/006208.html