Re: Moving g_get_current_time out of gmain.c

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 22:52 -0700, Daniel Amelang wrote:
> Hello all, I've got a small Glib suggestion.
>
> I've been working on a Glib port to vxWorks. I came across the
> g_get_current_time function in gmain.c. It seems like such a general
> purpose function deserves to be in gutils or something like it.
>
> The reason why it matters to me is that in embedded development, one
> will often wish to create the smallest image possible. Since
> gasyncqueue, gfileutils, grand, gthreadpool and gtimer all use the
> g_get_current_time function, they all depend on gmain (for this single
> function only) and thus all require all of gmain code to be linked in.
> gmain will rarely be used in  vxWorks applications (due to their
> nature), so the dependency on gmain is even less desirable.
>
> Before I go any further with the idea, I'd like to hear some peoples'
> opinion. After all, I'm new here and might have missed why
> g_get_current_time is in gmain.c in the first place.

Size of statically linked binaries has never been something we've
optimized for in GLib development. The primary uses of GLib are
definitely with dynamic linking.

If someone wanted to do analysis of dependencies and provide patches
to move stuff around (and/or split files) to improve that, we would
probably accept them, as long as overall code maintainability wasn't
damaged.