Re: Compilation speed on Windows (was: Re: GTK+ for Windows MSVCRT dependency?)

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

> Robert Ögren writes:
>  > The deal with /usr/bin/install is a minor thing, but it seems that
>  > Windows refreshes the start menu etc. each time a program named "install"
>  > or "setup" finishes executing,
>
> Sorry, but I don't think I ever observed that with Cygwin's install on
> my old Win2k box, and definitely not with MSYS's install.exe on my
> current XP box. (Can there be something special on your machine that
> makes Windows think it should be clever when somebody runs a program
> called "install.exe"? Is this as a normal user, or Administrator?)

I tested it on 3 machines running XP SP2, as a normal user on 2 of them
and as admin on 1. It doesn't have to be a specific program, I can copy
notepad.exe and name it install, and when it terminates, explorer.exe
consumes CPU for a short while (less than a second).

It becomes really obvious if I run something like this in Cygwin's bash:

for i in `seq 1 100`; do /usr/bin/install --help; done

or in the windows command prompt (cmd.exe):

copy \windows\system32\help.exe install.exe
for /L %i in (1,1,100) do @install

and watch the explorer.exe process in the task manager. It is strange if
it doesn't happen for you, maybe I need to investigate this further. I
don't like this behavior.

Robert
(where did I put my tinfoil hat?)

(http://roboros.blogspot.com/2005/02/speed-of-ginstall-vs-install.html)