Re: gtk tutorial section on unix signals

Tristan Van Berkom <tristan van berkom gmail com> writes:

   On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:39:26 +0100, Andreas Rottmann <a rottmann gmx at> wrote:
   [...]
   > I'd rather see that code abstracted and put into GLib (like
   > g_child_watch_add).

   It would definitly be interesting to see a GSource implementation for
   unix signals (ofcourse, specialy SIGCHLD).

A GSource implementation is definitely beyond what I can contribute.

   My feelings on this tutorial is... I think its out of scope and may
   cause more confusion to beginers then really being a help, people
   may think "I can handle signals using glib" as a consiquence.

I don't understand. Why might people think this? You _cannot_
handle signals with glib (apart from SIGCHLD)!

   If someone is going to use signals in conjunction with pipes &
   sockets they should really be reading something like Steven's
   "Advanced programming in the UNIX environment" and then lookup
   the tutorial to see how they are going to implement it using glib.

Might be. But I aim at people how just want to let their programs
terminate gracefully. They want to catch SIGINT, maybe SIGPIPE
and exit soon afterwards. Nothing more. This is certainly not
advanced programming.

Bye,

Hendrik