Re: Extra modifiers

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 23:19 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 16:25 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Today I committed a patch to cvs HEAD which adds
> > GDK_SUPER_MASK, GDK_HYPER_MASK and GDK_META_MASK to
> > GdkModifierType, and makes GDK set these in the state
> > field of key events.
> >
> > GTK has been changed to allow specifying <Super>,
> > <Hyper>, etc as modifiers, and the default accel mod mask
> > has been changed to include Super, Hyper and Meta.
> >
> > Please test this, and let me know if it causes any problems.
> >

> Seems likely to confuse the eggaccelerators.[hc] stuff as e.g. copied
> into metacity... don't know though.
>
> That code also takes a bit different approach in keeping "virtual mods"
> distinct from "concrete mods" and also covering MODE_SWITCH, NUM_LOCK,
> and SCROLL_LOCK

Virtual modifiers vs. distinct modifiers is an artifact of X and
has no relevance to the app developer or user so the hope was to avoid
that and avoid clunky stuff like eggaccelerators.

Offhand, the eggaccelerators code looks like it will still work...
it never directly assigns an EggVirtualModifierType to
a GdkModifierType or vice-versa.

MODE_SWITCH, NUM_LOCK, SCROLL_LOCK could have easily been added here
but we couldn't think of any use cases.