Storing config data [was: Re: Printing settings, again]

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 17:59 -0500, Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
> >Introducing read-write printing settings in gtk+ is a bit problematic,
> >as there is currently no support for such settings in gtk+.
> >

> Federico must know how to do it ;)

Damn, you blew my cover.

In the "federico-filename-entry" branch, I have a GtkFileChooserSettings
class that saves the user's settings for the file chooser:

	- the state of the "show a filename entry" toggle

	- the state of the show-hidden-files toggle

I intend to save some extra stuff as well, such as the hpaned size and
the dialog size [insert millions of caveats of how sizing is totally
broken right now].

I save the settings in ~/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser, per the XDG
basedir spec:  I call g_get_user_config_dir() and append the
"gtk-2.0/gtkfilechooser" part.

That file is a blob parsed with GMarkup.

I don't want to propagate this practice very much, since it is yet
another config system, and it is only necessary because we haven't
sucked it up and put GConf under GTK+ as a dependency.  Whoever flames
about this deserves to get their eyebrows burnt.

  Federico