gtk_selection_data_get_uris returns garbage pointer

What am I doing wrong?

I've got drag and drop working for a single item from Nautilus. I need
to support the case where a user drags multiple items though. I found
some good examples on this list, but I've never been able to get the
gtk_selection_data_get_uri to return anything but garbage.

    gchar **uri_list;
    gchar *path;
    gint len;

    len = 0;

	    /* grab nautilus image */
            case TARGET_URI:
		uri_list = gtk_selection_data_get_uris (sel_data);
		while (uri_list[len]) {
		    path = g_filename_from_uri (uri_list[len], NULL, NULL));
                    print path
		    len++;
               }
If I try to print the pointer uri_list after the assignment I get nil.
In gdb I get a partial address like 0xcf3 that appears corrupted.

if I just do g_filename_from_uri (sel_data->data... I get a single
filename correctly.

TIA,
--
- Jim Pharis